To ensure a meaningful quality of life for people with an Autism Spectrum disorder (ASD)
Autism South Africa is the national body striving to be a positive and proactive voice representing those with autism across South Africa.
Autism South Africa was founded in 1989 by concerned parents
and professionals as a lobbying and networking organisation.
A full-time head office was established in 1997 and
Community Branches covering 6 of the 9 nine provinces were
opened in 2010.
- Focusing Autism South Africa's programmes to improve the quality of life for people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- Developing and strengthening Autism South Africa's services on a national basis;
- Increasing public concern and awareness of Autism Spectrum Disorders and the efforts of Autism South Africa.
- Promote the interests and needs of individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and protect their rights, irrespective of race, sex or creed;
- Promote a nationwide provision of facilities for the education, training and intervention of people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- Negotiate and liaise with International/National/Provincial/Government and/or other institutions, affiliated bodies or similar organisations on matters concerning the needs of people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families;
- Facilitate the establishment and maintenance of facilities for people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and advocate for adequate services for individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- Promote and assist with research into the causes, incidence, management and intervention techniques for people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- Promote the awareness, understanding and support of Autism Spectrum Disorders at all levels;
- Organise conferences and workshops on Autism Spectrum Disorders throughout South Africa;
- Facilitate training and education of parents, primary care givers and professionals living with or assisting people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- Act as a coordinating and mediating body for all members of Autism South Africa as and when required.